To Netpreneur Exchange HomeTo Netpreneur Exchange Home

Help for AD-MARKETING Archives

AD-MARKETING Archives

AD-MARKETING Archives

AD-MARKETING@LISTSERV.MORINO.ORG

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

AD-MARKETING Home

AD-MARKETING Home

AD-MARKETING  March 2002

AD-MARKETING March 2002

Re: Question; Distinguishing legit inquiry from SPAM

"Hollis Thomases, WebAdvantage.net" <[log in to unmask]>

Hollis Thomases, WebAdvantage.net

Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:11:56 -0500

text/plain

Barbara Halpern wrote:

> <<1.   How does this email back that I got 'grab you' or make you feel?
> Hey,
>
> You spam me again and you will be very impressed with my computer skills.
>
> ORIGINAL MESSAGE SENT:
>
> Hi.  I have a bunch of mortgage domains for sale.  Ideal for mortgage companies or portal sites.  Loads of marketing sizzle.
>
> I am not in the mortgage biz.  I am a marketing consultant.
>
> Do you have any interest in purchasing names?  These could be for your clients or new sites.  Or for resale.
>
> These are winning names that will COMMAND market presence.>>

Barbara,

My first impression of your email was that it was "spammy" in nature.  I know that you're trying to elicit a response with your marketing copy, but I tend to be more reserved when sending an
unsolicited email.  Much like Raj remarked earlier, I personalize the email (if possible; if not possible, I at least try using a title like, "Dear Marketing Manager"), introduce myself and my company
right from the start, and get to my point succinctly and pointedly.  I avoid the "fluff" that I find muddies the point of my message.  I guess I'm saying take the passive, rather than the aggressive
approach.

Also, you really didn't put forth *exactly* what you had to offer.  You already own the domain names so why not include a few in the email to better entice/connect with the recipient.

Let's say there's no contact information on the site and you're unsure of where the email you're sending will wind up.  You can always start by sending to webmaster@[XYZ site] and trying the generic,
"Dear Webmaster" approach.  My re-write might go as follows:

Dear [XYZ site] Webmaster,

My name is Barbara Halpern from a marketing consulting firm called Marketing Momentum <give site url>.  Several years ago I purchased mortgage industry-related domain names, and I'm writing now to see
if your company might have an interest in them.  Some examples include:

* Domain Name 1
* Domain Name 2
* Etc.

Uses for these names include:

* Developing new sites
* Re-selling to clients
* Etc.

If you're not the correct person to be contacting, could you please forward my email on to someone who is?  I appreciate your time and assistance.

Kind regards,
Barbara Halpern

I'm sure there will be list members who'll rip apart my approach, too, Barbara, so take heart!

Best,
Hollis Thomases
--
WebAdvantage.net <http://www.webadvantage.net>
mailto:[log in to unmask] | (410)297-9495 | (410)297-9462 fax EST

CHECK OUT OUR NEW EBOOK:  http://www.webadvantage.net/estore

mailto:[log in to unmask]

subscribe to AdMarketing at:
http://netpreneur.org/connect/am/subscribe.asp

tell-a-friend:
http://netpreneur.org/_NEPScripts/forwardam.asp

to change your email address:
mailto:[log in to unmask]

AD-MARKETING is powered by L-Soft's LISTSERV(R) software

March 27 Netpreneur Coffee & DoughNets:
VC Confidential: <http://netpreneur.org/doughnets>