To Netpreneur Exchange HomeTo Netpreneur Exchange Home

Help for NPNEWS Archives

NPNEWS Archives

NPNEWS Archives

NPNEWS@LISTSERV.MORINO.ORG

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

NPNEWS Home

NPNEWS Home

NPNEWS  July 1998

NPNEWS July 1998

Netpreneur News

Netpreneur Program <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Jul 1998 16:08:09 -0400

text/plain

...................POTOMAC KNOWLEDGEWAY................
.......................NETPRENEUR NEWS........................

----Send comments and stories to: [log in to unmask]
Subscribe and unsubscribe info appears at the end of this message.

Volume 3, Number 27 - July 9, 1998 - This Week's Contents:

I> NEWS ABOUT THE PROGRAM
--1. Funding Questions First, Networking Second
--2. What Do We Really Have To Worry About?
--3. Well, Get A Good Night's Sleep Instead
--4. Newly Assembled At The FAQtory
II>REGIONAL NETPRENEURS
--1. ITA Synchronizes Mobile Relational DBMS Channels
--2. Back Office E-Commerce Solution for Federal Procurement
--3. What's The Future Of 3G Wireless?
--4. Wireless Hypertext Tool Released
--5. VisualRoute Plots Internet Connections
--6. Web-Based Interactive Health Program
--7. Leadership Training Courses On The Web
III> PARTNERSHIPS
--1. Amteva and Netscape Provide Unified Messaging
--2. DIDAX In Insurance Co-Marketing Agreement
--3. PSINet Bundles Services With Ascend Hardware
--4. Virtual Consulting Organization Grows To  Philadelphia
IV> CONSTRUCTION CREWS
-Who's Bringing Whom To The Web? Magnet Interactive, nmp, iapps
V> FUNDING & FINANCE NEWS
--1. US WEST Buys Stake In USinternetworking
--2. America's Doctor Receives Funding
--3. CyberCash Invests In UUcom To Expand Its Network
--4. PSINet Acquires Companies in Hong Kong, Germany, France, US
VI> REGIONAL NEWS
--1. Get Listed In TechCapital's Tech Association Directory

I> News About The Program
________________________________
1. FUNDING QUESTIONS FIRST, NETWORKING SECOND
At the May 21 Coffee & DoughNets, five netpreneurs from Blackboard,
CrossMedia Networks, Online Monitoring Services, Women's Connection Online
and WisdomWare shared their perspective and advice on the first-funding
process. Now for the flip side. Based on your feedback from that meeting,
July's C&D will feature a panel of investors sharing what they look for in
a potential investment, as well as advice for netpreneurs seeking capital.
The panel (so far) includes Kevin Burns, CEO of Intersolv and Managing
Principal with Lazard Technology Partners (lead investor in Online
Monitoring Services); Gene Riechers, Managing Director of FBR Technology
Venture Partners (an investor in WisdomWare); and a representative of
Mid-Atlantic Venture Fund (investor in Women's Connection Online). Other
panelists are expected, and the session will be moderated by Esther Smith
of investor relations company, The Poretz Group.  The event is sponsored
by the Mid-Atlantic Venture Association.

The next C&D will be July 28, beginning with registration at 7:00am at the
Fairview Park Marriott in Falls Church, VA. Please note that the session
will move networking to the end of the session, so the program will begin
earlier at 7:30am (instead of the usual 8:00am). As always, you must
pre-register online, and we recommend that you do so soon. The meeting is
free, and registration preference is given to working netpreneurs.

Register for C&D: http://netpreneur.org/events/doughnets/default.html
First Funding transcript: http://netpreneur.org/funding/firstfunding
_________________________________
2. WHAT DO WE REALLY HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT?
Excerpts from last week's cautionary presentations on Ego & Greed by Mario
Morino and George Gingerelli are now available at the Netpreneur Exchange
Web site. Greedy netpreneurs may download as many copies as they like.

Ego & Greed: http://netpreneur.org/events/doughnets/ego
_________________________________
3. WELL, GET A GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP INSTEAD
Just a quick heads up that we will be migrating our servers over to
Electric Press's new operations center on Saturday between 1:00am and
9:00am, so there will be some service interruptions during that period for
the Web site. Our regrets for any inconvenience. Better get those
transcripts now, so you'll have them for the weekend, eh?
_________________________________
4. NEWLY ASSEMBLED AT THE FAQtory
Find a new FAQ on Structuring a VC Presentation in the Funding area. The
usual FAQtory caveat applies: these are not necessarily complete
explications. They reflect recent discussion among our netpreneur community
and are added to regularly. Please contribute your comments.

FAQtory: http://netpreneur.org/faqtory

II> Regional Netpreneurs
_________________________________
1. ITA SYNCHRONIZES MOBILE RELATIONAL DBMS CHANNELS
(Annapolis, MD) Information Transport Associates, Inc. (ITA) released
Mobile/Objects an ActiveX-based software product that lets users
synchronize a local relational database (a database file residing on a
laptop, for example) with a database residing on a server. When using the
Web-based interface to access a database, users access the server version
when connected to the Internet or the local version when unconnected.
Salespeople who need access to a centralized product database that changes
nightly, for example, could synch the evening before a sales call and have
the latest information when visiting a client.

Information Transport Associates: http://www.itacorp.com
________________________________
2. BACK OFFICE E-COMMERCE SOLUTION FOR FEDERAL PROCUREMENT
(Falls Church, VA) Integration Technologies Group, Inc. (ITG) debuted ITG
PROCURE Electronic Commerce, a product which the company calls the first
procurement management software system for federal contracting
professionals that runs entirely from a Web browser. Vendors can provide
quotes over the Web, and procurement shop customers can submit requisitions
from their desktops. The system's thin/client technology provides Internet,
intranet and Web interface without additional software and runs on most
operating systems. PROCURE is already being used at the Department of
Defense Inspector General's Office and the State Department's Foreign
Affairs Institute.

ITG: http://www.itgonline.com
________________________________
3. WHAT'S THE FUTURE OF 3G WIRELESS?
(Washington, DC) Third-generation (3G) wireless technology is the talk of
the wireless industry, promising high-speed Internet and multimedia
communication over mobile phones. Questions, however, remain about
profitability. In The Strategis Group's latest report, "3G Wireless,
Demand, Standards and Technology," the consulting firm examines 3G demand,
viability and other pertinent issues in 3G migration. Results are based on
Strategis' financial model incorporating all variables related to 3G
deployment and operation. The report is available for $1,600. Strategis
provides market research, consulting and news services to the cable TV,
satellite, competitive telephony, Internet, broadband and wireless
industries.

The Strategis Group: http://www.strategisgroup.com
________________________________
4. WIRELESS HYPERTEXT TOOL RELEASED
(Arlington, VA) New Signals Press released version 4.0 of SpectrumGuide,
its hypertext handbook to U.S. radio spectrum allocations for Windows and
Mac OS. The book explains history, current status and trends in more than
300 frequency bands covering satellites, cellular, broadband, messaging,
digital broadcasting and more. A companion wall chart is also available.

New Signals Press: http://www.newsignals.com
________________________________
5. VISUALROUTE PLOTS INTERNET CONNECTIONS
(Fairfax, VA) Datametrics Systems Corporation (http://www.datametrics.com),
a producer
of performance and capacity management software, released version 3.2c of
its VisualRoute software utility which analyzes problems in an Internet
connection. The software graphically plots all network points of an
Internet connection route across the world, giving ISP identification and
location. Download a free 30-day trial at the Web site.

VisualRoute: http://www.visualroute.com
Datametrics: http://www.datametrics.com
________________________________
6. WEB-BASED INTERACTIVE HEALTH PROGRAM
(Annapolis, MD) The Teamwork Company, Inc. encourages healthy living via
the Internet through their Life Balance Program. The interactive program
motivates members to exercise on their own while learning the fundamentals
of fitness, nutrition, sleeping habits and stress reduction. Members can
interact with professional coaches and trainers while tracking daily
progress and learning about health. The site also offers free health
assessment tests.

The Teamwork Company: http://www.teamworkcompany.com
________________________________
7. LEADERSHIP TRAINING COURSES ON THE WEB
(Arlington, VA) The Training Place released an interactive, self-paced,
Web-based course called Leadership Fundamentals for Mid-level Managers. The
courses allow students to receive feedback by interacting with instructors
either directly via email, or indirectly by posting to a discussion area.
Three additional leadership training courses will be available before the
end of the July, including Mastering Yourself: A Foundation for Leadership;
Preparing for Leadership: Competencies of Leaders; and Developing Dynamic
Teams Through Servant Leadership.

The Training Place: http://www.trainingplace.com

III> Partnerships
_________________________________
1. AMTEVA AND NETSCAPE TEAM PROVIDE UNIFIED MESSAGING
(Glen Allen, VA) Amteva Technologies, Inc. and Netscape have signed an
agreement to jointly market Amteva's Unified Messaging Plus (UMP) product
with Netscape's messaging server software, code-named "Troopers ISP," for
telecommunications companies and ISPs. UMP is a carrier-class IP-based
unified messaging solution which, when combined with Netscape's Troopers
ISP, includes email, voice mail and fax services over IP, with single
number reach so that customers can access all of those services from a
single message box over the Internet by telephone.

Amteva: http://www.amteva.com.
Netscape: http://home.netscape.com
_________________________________
2. DIDAX IN INSURANCE CO-MARKETING AGREEMENT
(Chantilly, VA) DIDAX INC. (Nasdaq: AMEN), the builder of CCN: The
Christian Community Network, announced the first phase of a move into
online personal finance via a content and revenue sharing agreement with
M.A.I.N. Financial Services, Inc., a life and annuity insurance firm
representing over 25 insurance companies. The agreement includes an initial
Community Market Initiation fee to DIDAX and subsequent revenue sharing
generated by co-marketing initiatives. The companies will jointly develop
and market insurance-related content and services on the CCN site.
Additional insurance products and services will be added in the coming
year. In a separate announcement, DIDAX said that in June, CCN had reached
its year end target of 100,000 registered members, a 1,480% growth rate
since June 1997.

CCN: http://www.christcom.net
_________________________________
3. PSINET BUNDLES SERVICES WITH ASCEND HARDWARE
(Herndon, VA) PSINet (Nasdaq: PSIX) announced a joint reseller program with
Ascend Communications (Nasdaq: ASND) to bundle PSINet Internet service with
Ascend's remote access products. The bundled services provide remote access
to small office/home office (SoHo) users, telecommuters, mobile workers and
remote offices. They are currently available through national distributors
such as Ingram Micro, Tech Data and Merisel.

PSINet: http://www.psinet.com
Ascend: http://www.ascend.com
_________________________________
4. VIRTUAL CONSULTING ORGANIZATION GROWS TO  PHILLY
(Jefferson, MD) The Virtual Consulting Organization//worldwide (VCO//ww)
has signed with The Savitz Organization of Philadelphia (TSO) to form
Virtual Consulting Organization//Philadelphia, the group's first VCO beyond
the Washington/Baltimore region. VCO//ww is a consortium of independent
consulting firms which work as a single firm by using the Internet, email,
conferencing and other technologies as infrastructure to collaborate on
proposals, reports and presentations. VCO//Philadelphia will use TSO as its
base, building on TSO's retirement and benefits consulting practice to
become a full-service HR consulting firm.

VCO//ww: http://www.vco.com

IV> Construction Crews
WHO'S BRINGING WHOM TO THE WEB?

Magnet Interactive ( http://www.magnet.com ) of Washington, DC, has
re-designed and expanded the site for Binney & Smith, maker of Crayola
crayons ( http://www.crayola.com ). Among other features, kids can use a
Shockwave application to color their own pages and the site showcases the
Rainbow Room with content for preschoolers.

NMP, Inc. ( http://www.nmpinc.com ) of Falls Church, VA, has created four
new sites including the Pew Center on Global Climate Change
( http://www.pewclimate.org ); InterAmerica Technologies
( http://www.interamerica.com ), a site which showcases software solutions
for correspondence management; the National Community Education Association
( http://www.ncea.com ) which features information about community learning
centers; and a new area of the World Wildlife Fund site celebrating the
Year of the Ocean 98 ( http://www.worldwildlife.org/yoto ).

Washington, DC-based Interactive Applications Group ( http://www.iapps.com
) launched a new site for the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's National
Program Office on Self-determination ( http://www.self-determination.org )
for states and communities working to improve the quality of life for
people with developmental disabilities.

IV> Funding & Finance News
_________________________________
1. US WEST BUYS STAKE IN USinternetworking
(Annapolis, MD) Denver, CO-based US WEST (NYSE: USW) has acquired a
minority equity interest in USinternetworking, Inc. (USi). The two
companies plan to deliver network-hosted applications to business customers
starting in the third quarter of this year. Details of the transaction were
not disclosed. Joe Zell, president of US WEST !NTERPRISE Networking, will
take a position on the USi board. USi is constructing a network of data
center facilities connecting the Internet backbones of North America,
Europe and Asia, each of which will house hundreds of Internet-connected
computers individually assigned to USi customer applications, such as
Web-enabled customer service systems, sales force automation, supply chain
systems and electronic commerce gateways. The companies will team to
aggregate and distribute these applications and system integration
services.

USi: http://www.usinternetworking.com
U S WEST: http://www.uswest.com
_________________________________
2. AMERICA'S DOCTOR RECEIVES FUNDING
(Owings Mills, MD) America's Doctor, Inc., also known as "Ask A Doctor,"
received initial round investments including a $1,000,000 minority equity
position from Premier Research Worldwide, Ltd. (Nasdaq: PRWW). PRWW joined
Medical Advisory Systems, Inc. (OTC Bulletin Board: MEAS) and two other
private investment groups. America's Doctor will provide medical
information, real-time physician chat, referrals and healthcare events on
AOL's Health site. America's Doctor will be an anchor tenant on the health
page under an initial three-year exclusive agreement with AOL, guaranteeing
at least 23 million page impressions per year. Chat service will be
provided by MEAS using its 24-hour, physician-staffed call center. PRWW
also gets an exclusive arrangement for all clinical research referrals from
America's Doctor.

PRWW: http://www.premier-research.com
_________________________________
3. CYBERCASH INVESTS IN UUcom TO EXPAND ITS NETWORK
(Reston, VA) CyberCash, Inc. has teamed with Alexandria, VA-based UUcom
Inc. to design and implement a network expansion and to upgrade CyberCash's
Internet architecture and operational facilities. The expansion is intended
to meet projected growth in demand. UUcom will also help CyberCash improve
its communication network to increase speed and make it more
fault-tolerant. To reinforce the relationship between the two companies,
CyberCash has made an equity investment in UUcom as a key technology
provider and Internet engineer. Details of the investment were not
disclosed.

UUcom: http://www.uucom.com
CyberCash: http://www.cybercash.com
_________________________________
4. PSINet ACQUIRES COMPANIES IN HONG KONG, GERMANY, FRANCE, US
(Herndon, VA) PSINet Inc. (Nasdaq: PSIX) announced that it completed the
purchase of four Internet companies for approximately $46 million in cash.
The four companies generate annual revenue of over $23 million, have over
3,500 business customers and some 20,000 SoHo and dial up customers. The
companies are LinkAge Online, Ltd. of Hong Kong; Interactive Networx GmbH
of Berlin, Germany; SCII-CalvaPro of Paris, France; and ioNET of Oklahoma
City, OK.

PSINet: http://www.psi.net

V> Regional News
_________________________________
1. GET LISTED IN TECHCAPITAL'S TECH ASSOCIATION DIRECTORY
(Arlington, VA) For its Sept/Oct issue, due out August 19, TechCapital
magazine is currently compiling a listing of Mid-Atlantic technology
associations and councils, including groups in Washington, DC, Maryland,
Virginia, Delaware, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. If your
group belongs in TechCapital's directory, send the following information to
Christina Dyrness at [log in to unmask]: the name of your council or
association, address, phone number, Web site address, year founded, contact
name and title, and a brief description of your organization, including
information on membership.

TechCapital: http://techcapital.com

Thanks for your interest in and support of the Potomac KnowledgeWay
Netpreneur Program. Send comments and stories to <[log in to unmask]>

Netpreneur News is copyright 1998, Morino Institute, all rights reserved.
The information contained here has been obtained from sources believed to
be reliable, but is not necessarily complete and its accuracy cannot be
guaranteed. It is provided "as is" and your use is at your own risk.

To subscribe to Netpreneur News, send an email to:

with the following command in the body of your message:

SUBSCRIBE NPNEWS

To remove yourself from Netpreneur News send an email to:

with the following command in the body of your message:

SIGNOFF NPNEWS