To Netpreneur Exchange HomeTo Netpreneur Exchange Home

Help for NPNEWS Archives

NPNEWS Archives

NPNEWS Archives

NPNEWS@LISTSERV.MORINO.ORG

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

NPNEWS Home

NPNEWS Home

NPNEWS  July 1998

NPNEWS July 1998

Netpreneur News

Netpreneur Program <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Jul 1998 18:19:21 -0400

text/plain

...................POTOMAC KNOWLEDGEWAY................
.......................NETPRENEUR NEWS........................

----Send comments and stories to: [log in to unmask]
Subscribe and unsubscribe info appears at the end of this message.

Volume 3, Number 29 - July 23, 1998 - This Week's Contents:

Netpreneur News will take a break next week.
Look for us again on August 6.

I> NEWS ABOUT THE PROGRAM
--1. What's Life Without A Challenge?
--2. Let's Do Lunch Sometime
--3. Newly Assembled At The FAQtory
II>REGIONAL NETPRENEURS
--1. vLibrary Provides An Intranet Information Portal
--2. Next Stops: Waukegan, Kankakee And Points West
--3. New Guides To DC And Baltimore Area Restaurants
--4. Musicmaker Adds Seven Labels
--5. COMTEX Adds New Publishers
--6. DynaMorph Adds UnixWare 7 Support
--7. Report.Web Adds Java and ActiveX
--8. UnaTime Web Time Sheet Adds New Release
III> PARTNERSHIPS
--1. Two New Partners For CareerBuilder
--2. TEOCO Will Build Products For InfoSpace
--3. IMARK And INFOCON AMERICA To Co-Market
--4. AOL Pages Metrocall For Advertising Deal
--5. First Virtual Clients Migrate To CyberCash
IV> CONSTRUCTION CREWS
-Who's Bringing Whom To The Web? iapps
V> FUNDING & FINANCE NEWS
--1. Riggs Forms Venture Capital Division
--2. CommerceNet Acquires XML Exchange
--3. MAVA Names More Presenting Companies

Errata: The url for SMACNA was incorrectly listed last week.
The correct url is http://www.smacna.org.

I> News About The Program
________________________________
1. WHAT'S LIFE WITHOUT A CHALLENGE?
In the early days of Coffee & DoughNets (jeepers! months ago) there was a
feature where netpreneurs facing certain business challenges would present
their situations to the group. TVontheWeb tried it, so did Net.Capital and
Logex, and all received valuable feedback and ideas from their colleagues.

It's still in the planning stages, but we're thinking of beginning a series
of special Business Challenge events; forums for netpreneurs to meet in
relatively small groups-- between 10 and 50 of your peers, experts and
advisors-- to address tactical problems you are facing in your businesses
today, such as creating technology partnerships, hiring the right
management team or determining product pricing.

While we have no date set yet, to try out the idea we're planning the first
event with the topic of Valuing A Service Business. They're talking about
this, as well as other ideas, logistical issues and plans for the series,
in Talk-The-Talk, our netpreneurs-only email discussion group. Since these
decisions are going on now--and since the first several Challenges will
likely come from group members--we invite you to join both the group and
the discussion. We think that Business Challenges can turn into effective,
roll-up-your sleeves problem-solvers, and we want your input. Join now,
because seats at these session will be very scarce.

Join Talk-The-Talk: http://netpreneur.org/connect/talktalk/default.html

You must Join the Web site to become a member of a discussion group, but
joining is free and fast. Talk-The-Talk is for netpreneurs only, so you
also must be approved by the group leader.
_________________________________
2. LET'S DO LUNCH SOMETIME
Folks in the Ad-Marketing discussion group are keeping busy as well. The
Netpreneur Program is a sponsor for the upcoming regional online
advertising and marketing conference, washingtonpost.com's "Advertising and
Marketing on the Internet" on Tuesday, August 4. During a special lunch
session, tables will feature a variety of online marketing and
advertising-related discussions topics, with conversation facilitated by
members of the Ad-Marketing group, such as: Marketing Government Agencies
Online, led by Peg Hosky of Hosky Inc.; Content, led by Linda Koker of
LeapFrog Solutions; and E-commerce, led by Mary Clare Fitzgerald of Hughes
Hubbard & Reed. Targeted especially for the unique market in the Greater
Washington area, "Advertising and Marketing on the Internet" will be held
at the Crystal City Marriott in Arlington, VA. The cost is $295, or $250 if
you register by tomorrow, July 24.

Ad-Marketing discussion group: http://netpreneur.org/connect/am
Advertising & Marketing on the Internet Conference: http://www.zeff.com
_________________________________
3. NEWLY ASSEMBLED AT THE FAQtory
Find new FAQs on PR Distribution and Online Advertising Justification in
the Marketing area, and Webcasting A Live Event in the Technology area. The
usual FAQtory caveat applies: these are not necessarily complete
explications. They reflect recent discussion among our netpreneur community
and are added to regularly. Please contribute your comments.

FAQtory: http://netpreneur.org/faqtory

II> Regional Netpreneurs
_________________________________
1. vLIBRARY PROVIDES AN INTRANET INFORMATION PORTAL
(Reston, VA) Vistranet Communications, LLC released vLibrary, a digital
library solution targeted at enterprises looking to integrate and organize
external and internal information resources into their existing intranet.
vLibrary is a hub that acts as an intranet portal for these feeds which can
be customized and viewed from any browser, and include premium content such
as news, financial, legal and marketing information feeds. It is a
combination of Web-based server software, customized intranet portal Web
pages and profiled information views, all tailored to customer
requirements. Vistranet also deploys "email as push" (EMAP) technology to
let customers know when important profiles have current news.

Vistranet: http://www.vistranet.com
_________________________________
2. NEXT STOPS: WAUKEGAN, KANKAKEE AND POINTS WEST
(Vienna, VA) Digital City Inc. has expanded into 12 additional local
markets, making it the first local content network with a presence in 50 US
markets. The 12 new Digital City sites are Harrisburg/York, PA; Buffalo,
NY; Albany-Troy, NY; Jacksonville, FL; San Antonio, TX; Oklahoma City, OK;
Albuquerque-Santa Fe, NM; Richmond, VA; Columbus, OH; Grand Rapids, MI;
Milwaukee, WI; and Nashville, TN. Owned primarily by America Online and the
Tribune Company, Digital City offers localized information including local
news and sports, movie guides, personal ads, AutoGuide, real estate,
employment, stock index, maps and Web guides.

Digital City: http://www.digitalcity.com
_________________________________
3. NEW GUIDES TO DC AND BALTIMORE AREA RESTAURANTS
(Alexandria, VA) Internexus Design is a Web development company and creator
of Dine And Wine Online, a dining guide for the Washington, DC metro area,
listing restaurants by area, name, and cuisine, with news and reviews,
including video reviews for some restaurants. The site is updated
Wednesdays with new events, concerts, wine tastings and restaurant
openings. A new dining guide for Baltimore has just been created.

Dine and Wine: http://www.dinenwine.com
Internexus: http://www.dinenwine.com/internex.htm
_________________________________
4. MUSICMAKER ADDS SEVEN LABELS
(Reston, VA) The Music Connection Corporation, operator of custom CD
provider Musicmaker.com, has added seven independent music labels with over
15,000 music tracks, bringing Musicmaker's total catalog to over 150,000
songs, more than any other custom compilation music site. The new labels
add strength to the company's catalog in the reggae, new age, children's
music, jazz and classical. The Music Connection Corp. also opened new
headquarters in Reston, moving from previous offices in nearby Herndon, VA.

Musicmaker: http://www.musicmaker.com
_________________________________
5. COMTEX ADDS NEW PUBLISHERS
(Alexandria, VA) Comtex (OTC Bulletin Board: CMTX) added two new content
sources for its line of news wire services, A.M. Best Company and CMP
Media, Inc. A.M. Best's BestWire Services will provide Comtex with
insurance industry news. CMP is one of the largest technology publishers in
the US, with magazines that include Computer Reseller News, Computer Retail
Week, EE Times, Electronic Buyers' News, Information Week, Internet Week,
Network Computing, VARBusiness and Windows Magazine. Comtex is an
aggregator, integrator and syndicator of financial and business newswires.

Comtex: http://www.comtexnews.com
_________________________________
6. DYNAMORPH ADDS UNIXWARE 7 SUPPORT
(Vienna, VA) DynaMorph Technologies, Inc. has completed porting its
DynaMorph Web application engine to SCO's (NASDAQ: SCOC) UnixWare 7
operating system. SCO is a leading provider of UNIX server operating
systems. The two companies are cooperating in joint marketing efforts.

Morph: http://www.morphtech.com
SCO: http://www.sco.com
_________________________________
7. REPORT.WEB ADDS JAVA AND ACTIVEX
(Arlington, VA) Network Software Associates, Inc. (NSA) released Report.Web
Insight for ActiveX and Java. Customers use Insight to view Web-printed
reports published from an enterprise server. Use of Java and ActiveX
significantly improves flexibility and performance for the end-user.

Network Software Associates: http://www.nsainc.com
_________________________________
8. UNATIME WEB TIME SHEET ADDS NEW RELEASE
(Fairfax, VA) Computer Strategies, Inc. released UnaTime version 2.2
(formerly WebTime) a Web-based time sheet that allows employees and
contractors to record time worked via a Web browser. Features include
automated and online approvals as well as ad hoc reports. The new release
has an improved spreadsheet-style time sheet and simplified features for
entering descriptive comments. UnaTime is written in Java and can now run
on any Web server under any operating system and can store its data in any
SQL database.

Computer Strategies: http://www.unanet.com

III> Partnerships
_________________________________
1. TWO NEW PARTNERS FOR CAREERBUILDER
(Reston, VA) CareerBuilder has formed two new relationships, adding CNET
and Chancellor Media Corp. to its CareerBuilder Network. San Francisco-CA
based CNET Inc. (Nasdaq: CNWK) unveiled its new job site, CNET Online
Career Center which uses the CareerBuilder Network's technology and offers
companies the opportunity to connect with the largest technology audience
on the Web. Chancellor Media Corp., Washington, DC, the second-largest
radio broadcasting company in the US, will launch CareerFuture sites for
its eight radio stations in the DC market. CareerBuilder runs
The CareerBuilder Network, made up of 18 leading career sites on the Web,
and where recruiters and job seekers can post and search for jobs from more
than 700 employers.

CareerBuilder: http://www.careerbuilder.com
CNET Online Career Center: http://jobs.cnet.com
_________________________________
2. TEOCO WILL BUILD PRODUCTS FOR INFOSPACE
(Fairfax, VA) TEOCO Corp. and Redmond, WA-based InfoSpace, Inc. announced
an alliance under which TEOCO will design and develop customized software
using InfoSpace's integrated solutions for searching, mapping and
directions. InfoSpace is an aggregator and syndicator of content on the
Internet. Its directory services are licensed by many major sites and
companies, including Netscape, CBS, Lycos and The Wall Street Journal
Interactive. TEOCO is a professional services, consulting and software
products company.

TEOCO: http://www.teoco.com
InfoSpace: http://www.infospace.com
_________________________________
3. IMARK AND INFOCON AMERICA TO CO-MARKET
(Herndon, VA) Imark Technologies, Inc. (Nasdaq: MAXX) finalized an
agreement with Newport Beach, CA-based INFOCON AMERICA Corp. under which
INFOCON will co-market Imark's NET-MAX+ information commerce service and
Imark will offer its clients INFOCON's InfoLink Publishing Enhancement
Software, a publishing tool designed to prepare enhanced Adobe Acrobat
(PDF) files for distribution and sale. INFOCON AMERICA provides
full-service e-publishing software and services to the newsletter, trade
journal, directory and higher education publishing industries. Imark offers
information commerce services and products to content providers.

Imark: http://www.imarktech.com
INFOCON AMERICA: http://www.INFOCONAMERICA.com
_________________________________
4. AOL PAGES METROCALL FOR ADVERTISING DEAL
(Dulles and Alexandria, VA) America Online (NYSE: AOL) and Metrocall, Inc.,
(Nasdaq: MCLL) announced an exclusive interactive marketing agreement
featuring access to Metrocall's paging products and wireless messaging
services through AOL. Links will be created throughout AOL directing users
to Metrocall's site where AOL users can send text or numeric messages to
Metrocall's subscribers and purchase paging products and services. AOL will
receive guaranteed payments from Metrocall over the two-year term of the
agreement and will be eligible to receive additional payments based on
performance criteria. Headquartered in Alexandria, Metrocall is the
nation's second-largest paging and wireless messaging company.

Metrocall: http://www.metrocall.com
America Online: http://www.aol.com
_________________________________
5. FIRST VIRTUAL CLIENTS MIGRATE TO CYBERCASH
(Reston, VA) CyberCash, Inc. (Nasdaq: CYCH) and San Diego, CA-based First
Virtual Holdings Inc. (Nasdaq: FVHI) announced a preliminary agreement to
offer all of First Virtual's merchants and buyers a migration path to
CyberCash's CashRegister Payment Service. Under the terms of the
preliminary agreement, CyberCash will provide its Internet payment solution
to over 2,000 merchants who previously used the First Virtual Internet
Payment System (IPS). In exchange, First Virtual's Interactive Messaging
Platform (IMP) will be Cybercash's preferred solution for interactive
messaging. Although First Virtual was one of the early entrants to the
Internet payment service business, the company will exit that market to
focus on messaging technology.

CyberCash: http://www.cybercash.com
First Virtual Holdings: http://www.firstvirtual.com

IV> Construction Crews
WHO'S BRINGING WHOM TO THE WEB?

DC-based Interactive Applications Group ( http://www.iapps.com ) launched a
site for RIVA Market Research ( http://www.rivainc.com ), a qualitative
market research and training company.

IV> Funding & Finance News
________________________________
1. RIGGS FORMS VENTURE CAPITAL DIVISION
(Washington, DC) Riggs National Corp. (NASDAQ: RIGS) has formed a new $100
million venture capital division, Riggs Capital Partners. J. Carter Beese,
Jr. has been appointed President of the new business unit, as well as Vice
Chairman of Riggs & Co., Riggs Bank N.A.'s private banking, trust and
investment management division. Beese is a former SEC Commissioner and a
former Director of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC).
Immediately prior to joining Riggs, Beese was Vice Chairman of the Global
Banking Group at Bankers Trust. Earlier, he had served as Chairman of Alex.
Brown International. Riggs National has committed to providing up to $99
million, over a three-year period, part of which may be reduced if
participation is accepted from other investors and subject to performance
and other capital priorities. Beese has personally committed a minimum of
$1 million.

Riggs National: http://www.riggsbank.com
_________________________________
2. COMMERCENET ACQUIRES XML EXCHANGE
(Washington, DC) CommerceNet, the Silicon Valley-based e-commerce
consortium, has acquired the XML Exchange Web site from XMLSolutions, LLC,
which will be used to form the foundation of CommerceNet's eRegistry
Service. XML (eXtensible Markup Language) uses markup tags similar to HTML
and is particularly useful for Web-enabled datastores and rapidly
integrating existing applications for e-commerce. Anyone can create new
tags in XML. The Registry will ensure interoperability and promote
information exchange so that a tag will always mean the same thing. Details
of the transaction were not disclosed.

XML Exchange: http://www.xmlx.com
CommerceNet: http://www.commerce.net
________________________________
3. MAVA NAMES MORE PRESENTING COMPANIES
The Mid-Atlantic Venture Association (MAVA) named 14 more companies to
complete its roster of presenters for its Mid-Atlantic Venture Forum '98 to
be held September 15-16 in Tysons Corner, VA. The newly-named presenters,
which bring the total to 30, are Digital Addiction of Laurel, MD; Duality
Semiconductor of Vienna, VA; Imagination Software of Silver Spring, MD;
IsoQuest, Inc. of Fairfax, VA; Engenia Software (formerly Knowledge Mgmt.
Partners) of McLean, VA; Mindersoft, Inc. of Herndon, VA; Morph
Technologies, Inc. of Vienna, VA; MSI Software, Inc. of Fairfax, VA;
Network Storage Solutions of Chantilly, VA; STAT of Virginia Beach, VA;
Sterling Semiconductor, Inc. of Sterling, VA; The Partners Software of
Rockville, MD; TravelGuide Software of Baltimore, MD; and Tridium, Inc. of
Richmond, VA. Venture Forum '98 is designed to introduce early-stage IT and
telecom companies to a national audience of funders.

MAVA: http://www.mava.org

Thanks for your interest in and support of the Potomac KnowledgeWay
Netpreneur Program. Send comments and stories to <[log in to unmask]>

Netpreneur News is copyright 1998, Morino Institute, all rights reserved.
The information contained here has been obtained from sources believed to
be reliable, but is not necessarily complete and its accuracy cannot be
guaranteed. It is provided "as is" and your use is at your own risk.

To subscribe to Netpreneur News, send an email to:

with the following command in the body of your message:

SUBSCRIBE NPNEWS

To remove yourself from Netpreneur News send an email to:

with the following command in the body of your message:

SIGNOFF NPNEWS