To Netpreneur Exchange HomeTo Netpreneur Exchange Home

Help for NPNEWS Archives

NPNEWS Archives

NPNEWS Archives

NPNEWS@LISTSERV.MORINO.ORG

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

NPNEWS Home

NPNEWS Home

NPNEWS  November 1998

NPNEWS November 1998

Netpreneur News

Netpreneur Program <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 Nov 1998 18:06:52 -0500

text/plain

...................POTOMAC KNOWLEDGEWAY................
.......................NETPRENEUR NEWS........................

----Send comments and stories to: [log in to unmask]
Subscribe and unsubscribe info appears at the end of this message.

Volume 3, Number 44 - November 12, 1998 - This Week's Contents:

I> NEWS ABOUT THE PROGRAM
--1. Net Angel, Can You Hear Me?
--2. Net Angel, Can You See Me (Live On The Web)?
--3. Win A Free Pass To Gerald Benjamin's Angels Seminar
--4. The "Net" Impact On Business
II> REGIONAL NETPRENEURS
--1. Get Your Washy Squashy Fun Pack
--2. Net Users Will Pay To Keep Their Current ISP
--3. Zona Financiera Brings Online Finance To Latin America
--4. Ruesch Provides Currency Exchange Info By Email
--5. Cable & Wireless Introduces Consumer Service
--6. Shop Online With The Washington Post
--7. PBS Offers Distance Learning Resources
--8. Metrocall Launches Message Resource Management System
III> PARTNERSHIPS
--1. Enhanced IP Messaging From Amteva And Interpath
--2. Value America Markets Through Yahoo!
--3. TREEV And Servers On-Line In Reseller Deal
--4. ITServ And Bridge21 In Marketing Alliance
--5. WomenCONNECT Offers Banking Services
IV> CONSTRUCTION CREWS
--Who's Bringing Whom To The Web? digitalNATION, nmp
V> FUNDING & FINANCE NEWS
--1. Blackboard Closes First Round Of Venture Financing
--2. Synaptyx Acquired By Telco Systems

I> News About The Program
________________________________
1. NET ANGEL, CAN YOU HEAR ME?
Wanna get a sneak peak at what Angel Gerald Benjamin and Revolutionary Guy
Kawasaki will be talking about at next week's Angels & Revolutionaries
event? Check out new Q&A's with both, available now at the Netpreneur
Exchange Web site.

Benjamin Q&A: http://netpreneur.org/events/angels/angelQA_GB.html
Kawasaki Q&A: http://netpreneur.org/events/angels/angelQA_GK.html

You can still register online for Angels & Revolutionaries. The free event
will be held Thursday, November 19, at the McLean Hilton in McLean, VA,
beginning with a reception at 5:30pm.

Register for Angels & Revolutionaries: http://netpreneur.org/events/angels/

And for our friends outside the region . . .
________________________________
2. NET ANGEL, CAN YOU SEE ME (LIVE ON THE WEB)?
The Angels & Revolutionaries will be webcast live. Sure, you'll miss the
reception and networking opportunities, but you can catch the presentations
and Q&A live by registering for the free webcast at:

http://netpreneur.org/events/angels/webcast.html

After you register, we'll send out an email reminder before the event,
letting you know the exact times and url for participating. You'll need to
have RealNetworks RealPlayer software to view the webcast, which can be
dowloaded free at: http://www.real.com

The webcast will be produced by TV on the Web: http://www.tvontheweb.com
________________________________
3. WIN A FREE PASS TO GERALD BENJAMIN'S ANGELS SEMINAR
And let's not forget earlier on the 19th, when Gerald Benjamin will present
his acclaimed seminar "Finding Your Wings: How to Locate Private Investors
To Fund Your Venture." Benjamin, who is founder of the largest nationwide
private investor network, will provide practical insights into the world of
angel investing, including how to find and identify different types of
private investors, how to learn what they look for in a deal and how to
avoid missteps. The seminar begins at 1:30pm, also at the McLean Hilton,
and costs $50, which gets you a copy of Benjamin's book of the same title.
But wait, there's more ...

Our pals at PricewaterhouseCoopers have offered to sponsor 50 netpreneurs
who wish to attend the seminar by covering their registration fee. To
qualify, you must demonstrate that you are a netpreneur who is actively
seeking investment by completing a NET-INVEST business summary. (You can
get a copy of the form from Fran Witzel at [log in to unmask]) The first
50 qualifying netpreneurs to respond with a completed summary will be
notified and registered by the Netpreneur Program on behalf of PwC. All
others will be referred back to the Web site for registration.
________________________________
4. THE "NET" IMPACT ON BUSINESS
At last month's Coffee & DoughNets, Bill Whyman, Internet Strategist for
Legg Mason Wood Walker's Precursor Group, discussed the economic and
regulatory climate for netpreneurs and how the Net is affecting businesses
across industry sectors. The edited transcript of his talk, with
accompanying audience Q&A, is now available online. Check out his thoughts
on which industries win and lose because of the Net.

Transcript: http://netpreneur.org/events/doughnets/whyman

II> Regional Netpreneurs
_________________________________
1. GET YOUR WASHY SQUASHY FUN PACK
(Gaithersburg, MD) What to Buy For Network, Inc. launched
WhatToBuyForChristmas.com, the first in a series of shopping portals on the
Net. WhatToBuyForChristmas offers gift ideas for women, men, children and a
category for "them" devised for business associates, teachers, neighbors
and others. Drawing from online shopping sites like e-toys, J. Crew and
Wal-Mart, shoppers select from top ten lists of gift suggestions or browse
by lists in various price categories. After the holiday season, the company
will introduce additional year-round shopping portals, including
WhatToBuyForBirthdays, Weddings, Graduation and Anniversaries. BTW, Washy
Squashy Fun Pack is the number six item on the Top Ten list for kids this
year. Teletubbies, of course, are number one, but your editor always hoped
to become a Washy Squashy Fun Pack when he grew up.

WhatToBuyForChristmas: http://www.whattobuyforchristmas.com
_________________________________
2. NET USERS WILL PAY TO KEEP THEIR CURRENT ISP
(Washington, DC) Many Internet users would pay a higher monthly service fee
to their current ISP rather than switch. That's one of the conclusions from
The Strategis Group's current edition of Internet User Trends, an ongoing
tracking study of Internet users. The study finds that home Internet users
currently pay an average of $18.83 per month for access. According to the
report, if their current ISP were to raise monthly service rates, more than
half of home users would pay $4 or more per month to avoid switching ISPs,
a 20% premium over current prices. The study also found that 63% of
Internet users have never changed their ISP. Only 5% of home Internet users
indicated any dissatisfaction with their current provider. Topics covered
in the study include Internet market sizing, user demographic profiles and
usage patterns, Internet purchasing behavior and analysis of non-user
perceptions and awareness.

The Strategis Group: http://www.StrategisGroup.com
_________________________________
3. ZONA FINANCIERA BRINGS ONLINE FINANCE INFO
(Potomac, MD) Zona Financiera has launched the first Spanish and Portuguese
language financial portal site for Latin America, providing consumers and
businesses with financial management information and comparison-shopping
services for financial products. Zona Financiera offers real-time
international and local financial news, interactive financial tools, stock
and commodities quotes, real estate and bank product information and a
regional professional directory. The company says that much of its content
is being integrated into the financial channels of several large ISPs,
portal sites and new media companies in the US and Latin America. Zona
Financiera also owns La Zona.net, a free Spanish/Portuguese language
Web-based email service.

Zona Financiera: http://www.zonafinanciera.com
La Zona.net: http://www.lazona.net
_________________________________
4. RUESCH PROVIDES CURRENCY EXCHANGE INFO
(Washington, DC) Ruesch International, Inc., a financial institution
specializing in international payment services, released an email service
that provides customized rate and market information. RueschRates lets
users specify countries or currencies and receive email with pertinent
exchange rate and market information on a schedule requested by the user.
The service is available to corporations which have international payment
needs. RueschRates is the first of a number of ecommerce tools being
developed by Ruesch International. A Web site that enables corporations to
conduct foreign currency transactions online will be available in the first
quarter of 1999.

Ruesch International: http://www.ruesch.com
_________________________________
5. CABLE & WIRELESS INTRODUCES CONSUMER ISP SERVICE
(Vienna, VA) Cable & Wireless USA is entering the consumer Internet arena
with its Cable & Wireless Internet Xperience (CWIX) service. CWIX offers
customers 150 online hours, plus a free personal home page for a monthly
fee of $14.95. Additionally, when customers sign up for both Internet
access and Cable & Wireless long distance service, they receive long
distance phone discounts.

CWIX: http://start.cwix.com
_________________________________
6. SHOP ONLINE WITH THE WASHINGTON POST
(Arlington, VA) washingtonpost.com debuted Marketplace, a searchable,
online comparison shopping service for books, computers, software, consumer
electronics, fashions, gifts, videos, music, office supplies, sporting
goods and toys. In addition, a feature called Specials Delivery lets
visitors register to receive customizable, weekly email advance notice of
savings and specials at Washington area retailers. The first retailer to be
featured in Specials Delivery is JC Penney stores in the Washington and
Baltimore areas. washingtonpost.com expects to add additional retailers and
categories in the next several months.

Marketplace:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-adv/marketplace/wpmark_main.htm
Specials Delivery: http://specials.washingtonpost.com
_________________________________
7. PBS OFFERS DISTANCE LEARNING RESOURCES
(Alexandria, VA) PBS The Business Channel re-launched its Web site,
introducing free online services for training and business professionals,
including "How Trustworthy are You?", an online assessment for managers;
"Is your business Y2K compliant?;" and free distance learning resources,
including downloadable guides for corporations, government agencies,
non-profits and colleges. PBS The Business Channel, an initiative of the
Public Broadcasting System, offers satellite and Web services to deliver
live and video-based training

PBS The Business Channel: http://www.pbstbc.com
_________________________________
8. METROCALL'S MESSAGING RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
(Alexandria, VA) Metrocall, Inc. (Nasdaq: MCLL) released its proprietary
Integrated Resource Management System (IRMS) as a commercial product. IRMS
includes a next-generation IPT 3000 switch, originally developed by
Metrocall for use in medical and hospital campus environments. It enables
corporations to control wireless messaging throughout their organization
using existing customer-owned equipment such as a LAN computer system. IRMS
interfaces through an enterprise client or a standard Web browser. In
addition, customers can integrate telephony functions from their PBX
systems and create applications such as an integrated nationwide employee
directory or automated alerting applications.

Metrocall: http://www.metrocall.com

III> Partnerships
_________________________________
1. ENHANCED IP MESSAGING FROM AMTEVA AND INTERPATH
(Glen Valley, VA) Amteva Technologies, Inc. and Research Triangle, NC-based
Interpath Communications, Inc. announced a strategic partnership aimed at
providing enhanced IP-based messaging and call management services. The
first product will be Amteva's Unified Messaging Plus (UM+), a
carrier-class IP messaging solution that has already surpassed one million
seat licenses. UM+ offers subscribers a suite of applications that include
returning a call within a voice mail session, text-to-speech capabilities
for listening to email over the phone, single number reach and Web-based
email access.

Interpath: http://www.interpath.com
Amteva: http://www.amteva.com
_________________________________
2. VALUE AMERICA MARKETS THROUGH YAHOO!
(Charlottesville, VA) Value America has joined Yahoo!'s premier merchant
program, offering Yahoo!'s users prominent access to Value America's
merchant links within relevant categories and keyword search results pages
on the Yahoo! network of properties. The agreement also includes placement
of banner advertisements, front page promotions and product shots within
relevant consumer electronics categories. In addition, Value America has
become a charter sponsor of Yahoo! Small Business, an online resource for
entrepreneurs and small business professionals. In a related deal with
NYC-based Yoyodyne, the interactive direct marketing company recently
acquired by Yahoo!, Value America is sponsoring several Yoyodyne
promotional products. Value America offers technology, office and consumer
products for sale over the Net.

Value America: http://www.ValueAmerica.com
Yahoo!: http://www.yahoo.com
Yahoo! Small Business: http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com
Yoyodyne: http://www.yoyodyne.com
_________________________________
3. TREEV And Servers On-Line In Reseller Deal
(Herndon, VA) Long Island, NY-based Servers On-Line, Inc. will resell
TREEV, Inc. (Nasdaq: TREV) COLD (Computer Output to Laser Disk) and imaging
technology to customers in the community bank market. Servers On-Line
provides banks with a range of technology products and remote data
processing services. TREEV's COLD will fulfill the report management
portion of the Servers On-Line turnkey banking solution, and its imaging
product will provide online management of all imaged documents.

TREEV: http://www.treev.com
Servers On-Line: http://www.serversonline.com
_________________________________
4. ITSERV AND BRIDGE21 IN MARKETING ALLIANCE
(Gaithersburg, MD) ITServ Inc. and Casper, WY-based Bridge21, a provider of
accounting and technical services, have signed a joint marketing and
distribution agreement. Bridge21 will distribute RideWay, ITServ's
Internet-sharing software for LANs, as part of Bridge21's suite of office
automation solutions. RideWay is a proxy server application that allows two
or more networked PCs to share the same Internet connection and Internet
account simultaneously. RideWay also functions as a security firewall to
prevent unwanted external computers from accessing a network.

ITServ: http://www.itserv.com
Bridge21: http://www.bridge21.com
_________________________________
5. WOMENCONNECT OFFERS BANKING SERVICES
(McLean, VA) Houston,TX-based CompuBank will offer online banking and bill
payment services to users of WomenCONNECT.com. CompuBank is the first
virtual National Bank to receive a charter from the Office of the
Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) and approval from the Federal Deposit
Insurance Corporation (FDIC).

womenCONNECT: http://www.womenconnect.com
CompuBank: http://www.compubank.com

IV> Construction Crews
WHO'S BRINGING WHOM TO THE WEB?

Alexandria, VA-based digitalNATION ( http://www.dn.net ) hosts the new site
for Saab Cars USA ( http://Saabusa.com ), offering customers access to more
than 700 pages of information on Saab products and a 3-D interactive
showroom.

There's no moss on the rolling stones at nmp, inc of Arlington, VA
( http://www.nmpinc.com ). They've created new sites for Greenpeace USA
( http://www.greenpeaceusa.org ); the Wilderness Society
( http://www.wilderness.org ); CommunityReach
 http://www.communityreach.com );
the Philanthropy News Network ( http://www.pj.org ); Leading Authorities,
Inc.
( http://www.leadingauthorities.com ); College Is Possible
( http://www.CollegeIsPossible.org ), a site for the Coalition of
America's Colleges and Universities that helps parents and students prepare
for higher education; and the Society for Underwater Exploration's Secrets
of the Seas site ( http://www.underwaterdiscovery.org ).

V> Funding & Finance News
_________________________________
1. BLACKBOARD CLOSES FIRST ROUND OF FINANCING
(Washington, DC) Blackboard Inc. has closed a $3.1 million first round of
venture financing. The investment comes from a syndicate of three
Mid-Atlantic technology venture capital firms co-led by Novak Biddle
Venture Partners and the Internet Capital Group, and supported by The
Aurora Funds Inc. Blackboard intends to use the proceeds to continue its
expansion of market share among universities which operate virtual campuses
and internal academic intranets. Universities use Blackboard's Course
Management Systems to deliver and manage courses over the Web. The offering
was oversubscribed. Novak Biddle Ventures, based in Northern Virginia,
provides equity financing and assistance to the management of IT companies.
Internet Capital Group, based in Philadelphia, PA, primarily invests in
Internet software and service companies. The Aurora Funds, based in
Research Triangle, NC, invests primarily in emerging technology companies
in the Southeastern US.

Blackboard: http://www.Blackboard.net
_________________________________
2. SYNAPTYX ACQUIRED BY TELCO SYSTEMS
(Germantown, MD) Synaptyx Corp., a privately held developer of integrated
access solutions, has been acquired by Norwood, MA-based Telco Systems,
Inc. (NASDAQ:TELC), for approximately 900,000 shares of Telco common stock
plus a $4M earn-out incentive. Telco Systems previously owned a 16% equity
position in Synaptyx. Synaptyx's T1/E1 integrated access device (IAD),
which is targeted at competitive local exchange providers (CLECs) serving
the small/medium office and branch office markets, will be marketed and
sold by Telco under the name EdgeLink300. Founded in 1995, Synaptyx
provides equipment to new entrants in the local loop services market. Telco
Systems offers network access technology for integrated access, broadband
transmission, frame relay access and bandwidth optimization.

Synaptyx: http://www.synaptyx.com
Telco: http://www.telco.com

Thanks for your interest in and support of the Potomac KnowledgeWay
Netpreneur Program. Send comments and stories to <[log in to unmask]>

Netpreneur News is copyright 1998, Morino Institute, all rights reserved.
The information contained here has been obtained from sources believed to
be reliable, but is not necessarily complete and its accuracy cannot be
guaranteed. It is provided "as is" and your use is at your own risk.

To subscribe to Netpreneur News, send an email to:

with the following command in the body of your message:

SUBSCRIBE NPNEWS

To remove yourself from Netpreneur News send an email to:

with the following command in the body of your message:

SIGNOFF NPNEWS