To Netpreneur Exchange HomeTo Netpreneur Exchange Home

Help for NPNEWS Archives

NPNEWS Archives

NPNEWS Archives

NPNEWS@LISTSERV.MORINO.ORG

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

NPNEWS Home

NPNEWS Home

NPNEWS  November 1998

NPNEWS November 1998

Netpreneur News

Netpreneur Program <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Nov 1998 13:41:58 -0500

text/plain

...................POTOMAC KNOWLEDGEWAY................
.......................NETPRENEUR NEWS........................

----Send comments and stories to: [log in to unmask]
Subscribe and unsubscribe info appears at the end of this message.

Volume 3, Number 43 - November 5, 1998 - This Week's Contents:

I> NEWS ABOUT THE PROGRAM
--1. How Many Angels Can Dance On The Head Of A PIN?
--2. Hail Investor, Well Met
II> REGIONAL NETPRENEURS
--1. Video Security Via The Net
--2. Qradio Creates World Music Show
--3. KSI Helps Build Tradeshows On The Web
--4. ERIIS Offers Environmental Hazard Data
--5. FFI Seeks Course Beta Testers
--6. New Release Of VM:Webgateway
III> PARTNERSHIPS
--1. e*biz and Silknet Offer Internet Customer Service Management
--2. Sylvan And Blackboard Provide Web-based Testing
--3. GeoCities To Offer Networds
--4. LEGI-SLATE And State Net In Partnership
--5. MicroStrategy And Silicon Graphics To Create DSS Solution
IV> CONSTRUCTION CREWS
--Who's Bringing Whom To The Web? InfoMech
V> REGIONAL NEWS
--1. Mindbank Gets Tech Worker Training Grant

I> News About The Program
________________________________
1. HOW MANY ANGELS CAN DANCE ON THE HEAD OF A PIN?
Angel investing expert Gerald Benjamin will be there. So will garage.com's
Guy Kawasaki. But they're not the only experts who will be answering your
questions at the upcoming Angels And Revolutionaries meeting. You'll also
get to pick the brains of:

- Ginger Ehn Lew, Managing Director and COO of the Telecommunications
Development Fund which invests in emerging communications businesses. Prior
to joining the fund, Ms. Lew was deputy administrator of the Small Business
Administration, general counsel at the Department of Commerce, entrepreneur
at a high tech startup in San Francisco and a consultant at Ernst & Young.

- John May, Managing Partner and a founder of New Vantage Partners which
mobilizes private equity for early stage companies and provides advisory
services to both funds and private investors. He is managing general
partner of Calvert Social Venture Partners, a member of the Investment
Committee of the Women's Growth Capital Fund and co-founder of the Private
Investors Network (PIN), an angel network sponsored by the Mid-Atlantic
Venture Association.

- Mario Morino, whose career spans 30 years as a business leader, social
entrepreneur and leading advisor on IT. He co-founded Morino Associates
which grew to become Legent Corp., one of the world's largest software
companies when it was acquired in 1995. He is an advisor to and investor in
IT companies, chairman of the Morino Institute, founder and chairman of the
Potomac KnowledgeWay and a Special Advisor to General Atlantic Partners,
one of the premier private investment firms in IT.

- Laura B. Sachar, Co-Chairman and founder of StarVest Management, Inc., a
private equity firm that invests in business services, digital media and
related IT companies. She is also founder and Chairman of the New York New
Media Association Angel Investors Program. Until recently, she was
responsible for direct VC investments at Gabelli Securities, Inc. In 1992,
she founded Sachar Capital, Ltd., a financial advisory firm specializing in
digital media.

How's that for a line-up? Angels And Revolutionaries is a free event
presented by the Morino Institute and Virginia's Center for Innovative
Technology, and sponsored by KPMG Peat Marwick LLP. It will be held
November 19, beginning with a reception at 5:30pm at the McLean Hilton in
McLean, VA. For more information and to register, visit:
http://netpreneur.org/events/angels/

________________________________
2. HAIL INVESTOR, WELL MET
A few issues ago, we teased you a little bit (we're sorry) with two
experimental events in which a small group of netpreneurs were able to meet
face-to-face with local investors-- first, Steve Walker & Associates (SWA)
on October 9, and FBR Technology Venture Partners on October 16. These
"Meet the Investors" sessions turned out even better than we hoped. Gina
Dubbe of SWA told us, "We were delighted with the response." She believes
that they are likely to invest in two or three of the eight companies which
attended the first session. Scott Frederick of FBR said, "It was a very
worthwhile event. It brought several companies to our attention that we
were not aware of, and it gave those companies a great forum to get their
stories across. I look forward to following up with a number of them."

"Meet the Investors" was started as a way to provide netpreneurs seeking
capital with some up close and personal time with a funder, rather than
just being a face in the crowd at a larger event. Prospective attendees
were asked to fill out brief business summaries which were reviewed by the
funders to find those that met their broad investment criteria. Netpreneurs
who were selected heard a presentation from the funding organization and
had 30 minutes of one-on-one meetings with representatives. "We were
delighted by the range and quality of the companies that responded to the
invitation," said Steve Walker. " We were able to quickly qualify those
which fit our investment criteria and meet with eight firms in just a
half-day. We got back to the eight firms within 72 hours of our decisions."

The feedback from our first two events has been positive and has included a
number of suggestions that we are considering for future sessions. Yes,
there will be future sessions, no tease there, although we haven't
scheduled them yet. We'll keep you posted. Both SWA and FBR want to
participate again, and we are speaking to many other angels and VCs as
well. "This is exactly what we envisioned the Netpreneur Program
accomplishing and why we support it, acting as the catalyst to bring
together sources of financing and netpreneurs," said Mike Joseph,
Partner-in-charge of KPMG's Mid-Atlantic ICE practice which sponsored
the second Meet the Investors session.

II> Regional Netpreneurs
_________________________________
1. VIDEO SECURITY VIA THE NET
(Jessup, MD) Odyssey Technologies released Remote Eyes version 2.5, a
PC-based security and surveillance product that allows users to create a
multi-camera security system using a standard PC together with Odyssey's
proprietary video capture card and software. The system supports four
cameras and allows users to access the system virtually anywhere in the
world via a standard phone line, LAN connection or the Internet. Remote
Eyes delivers high frame rate video at up to 15 frames per second using
Odyssey's proprietary compression technology. The system can be configured
to deliver alarm notifications to a pager, cellular or regular phone,
security company or local law enforcement, together with a video clip of
the incident as evidence.

Odyssey Technologies: http://www.odsytech.com
_________________________________
2. QRADIO CREATES WORLD MUSIC SHOW
(Washington, DC) Quincy Jones' Qradio.net introduced a new radio show,
Qradio, to begin syndication in January of 1999. The show features music
from around the world selected and introduced by Jones. The two-hour
production looks at hot artists in various genres, with the second hour
devoted to counting down the 10 top songs in the world. Qradio is also in
the midst of preparing similar shows that target specific areas of music,
such as urban, pop and jazz. In a separate announcement, Qradio said that
it will begin using Liquid Audio products to offer CD-quality,
copyright-protected music for purchase over the Net. Available initially
are tracks from South Africa's Sheer Sound label.

Qradio: http://www.qradio.net
Show demo: http://commerce2.qradio.net/buzz/Qradio_show.html
_________________________________
3. KSI HELPS BUILD TRADESHOWS ON THE WEB
(Chantilly, VA) Knowledge Systems, Inc. (KSI) debuted EXPOVenture, an
integrated solution for virtual tradeshows and conferences on the Web. The
product allows associations to enhance a physical tradeshow and conference
with a Web presence that extends the event year-round with a virtual
exhibit hall, education session planner, personal agenda planner,
conference registration, industry news, advertising and discussion groups.
EXPOVenture offers tools to manage databases, advertisements, booths,
education sessions, special events and registration, as well as resources
to control the event and keep the site dynamic and up-to-date.

Knowledge Systems: http://www.expoventure.com
_________________________________
4. ERIIS OFFERS ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARD DATA
(Herndon, VA) Environmental Risk Information And Imaging Services (ERIIS)
released ERIISnet 6.0, an Internet-enabled version of the company's
software offering nationwide real property and company-specific
environmental due diligence data. The new release includes email-ready
reports, customized mapping and an option to choose between Internet access
or connection through a leased line.

ERIIS: http://www.eriis.com.
_________________________________
5. FFI SEEKS COURSE BETA TESTER
(Alexandria, VA) The First Forward Institute (FFI) is in search of
companies in any industry or sector to participate in a beta-test of its
new CBT-based multimedia training product on customer analysis. It is the
first in a series of products under the label of The COPE Series.
Beta-testers will have the ability to purchase the product at a reduced
price once it is completed. For more information on the beta test, contact
Nora Carrol at [log in to unmask]

First Forward Institute: http://www.ffinst.com
_________________________________
6. NEW RELEASE OF VM:WEBGATEWAY
(Reston, VA) Sterling Software, Inc.'s (NYSE: SSW) VM Software Division
released a new version of VM:Webgateway, software that lets users
Web-enable and enhance their mainframe applications. VM:Webgateway provides
browser access to these applications, and the new release supports popular
desktop Web publishing tools to more easily manage mainframe content. The
new version also includes expanded security features and an accounting
record that documents resource consumption for access to legacy
applications via a browser.

Sterling Software VM Systems: http://www.vm.sterling.com

III> Partnerships
_________________________________
1. E*BIZ AND SILKNET OFFER CUSTOMER SERVICE
(McLean, Va.) Electronic Business, Inc.(e*biz)and Manchester, NH-based
Silknet Software, Inc. announced an alliance to bring Internet-centric
customer relationship management and customer support solutions to ISPs and
businesses in the telecom, financial services and computer reselling
industries. Using Silknet's browser-based customer service application,
e*biz will provide companies with integrated ecommerce purchasing, selling
and support solutions. In addition, e*biz will provide systems integration
and strategic consulting services for the Silknet product.

e*biz: http://www.ebizinc.com
Silknet: http://www.silknet.com
_________________________________
2. SYLVAN AND BLACKBOARD OFFER WEB TESTING
(Baltimore, MD) Sylvan Learning Systems, Inc. (NASDQ: SLVN) will integrate
its computer-based test delivery capabilities with Washington, DC-based
Blackboard Inc.'s virtual campus systems. The combined solution will allow
colleges, universities and other organizations throughout the world to
offer secure assessment and testing as part of their distance learning
programs. The next release of Blackboard's CourseInfo, available in
December, will support the integration. Universities which use CourseInfo,
or any of Blackboard's products, will be able to offer Web-based
assessments via Sylvan Prometric's global testing network. Students can
take tests at a local Sylvan Prometric center, with Sylvan providing
authentication, proctoring and other security services. Results will be
routed back to the original campuses' Blackboard installation for grading
and record management.

Sylvan Learning Systems: http://www.sylvanlearning.com
Blackboard: http://www.blackboard.net
_________________________________
3. GEOCITIES TO OFFER NETWORDS
(Gaithersburg, MD) Netword LLC and Santa Monica, CA-based GeoCities
(Nasdaq: GCTY) announced an agreement to offer and promote Networds for
GeoCities addresses. GeoCities Homesteaders (members who create Web sites
at GeoCities) may create free Networds for their sites and other Internet
addresses. Networds are names, phrases, numbers or other sequences of
characters that Internet users create as more memorable options to standard
URLs. The URLs still work, but so do the alternate Networds. Users enter
Networds in their browsers to access Web pages, email addresses,
alphanumeric pagers, files and other Internet resources. GeoCities will
publicize Networds extensively within its communities.

GeoCities: http://www.geocities.com
Netword: http://www.netword.com
_________________________________
4. LEGI-SLATE AND STATE NET IN PARTNERSHIP
(Washington, DC) LEGI-SLATE and Sacramento, CA-based State Net have formed
a joint agency and license agreement to market and sell one another's
online legislative and regulatory tracking services to each company's
existing and new customers. The companies say that the combined offering
"provides the most complete state and federal information available."
LEGI-SLATE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Washington Post Company that
provides federal legislative and regulatory intelligence through a range of
news, analyses and indexed data on Congress and the executive branch. State
Net provides data, legislative intelligence and reporting on the actions of
state governments.

LEGI-SLATE: http://www.legislate.com
State Net: http://www.statenet.com
_________________________________
5. MICROSTRATEGY AND SILICON GRAPHICS FOR DSS
(Vienna, VA) MicroStrategy Incorporated (Nasdaq: MSTR) and Silicon
Graphics, Inc. (NYSE: SGI) will jointly develop and market an integrated
visual data mining/online analytical processing (OLAP) solution targeted at
data-intensive industries such as government, financial services,
pharmaceuticals, biotech, retail and manufacturing. MicroStrategy's DSS
products will be combined with Silicon Graphics' MineSet offerings to
create tools for detecting fraud, creating personalized customer loyalty
programs, optimizing manufacturing processes and developing marketing
campaigns. MicroStrategy also released versions 5.5 of its DSS Web and DSS
Server products, two of the main components of its enterprise decision
support solutions (DSS). New features include additional report formatting
capabilities, enhanced performance and new large-scale administration
functions.

MicroStrategy: http://www.microstrategy.com
Silicon Graphics: http://www.sgi.com

IV> Construction Crews
WHO'S BRINGING WHOM TO THE WEB?

Alexandria, VA-based InfoMech ( http://www.infomech.com ) has launched a
Web store for JustBalls of Kingston, NJ, the largest ball store online
( http://www.justballs.com ). The site has been featured in ZD Net and
Clickz
as a premier shopping destination.

V> Regional News
_________________________________
1. MINDBANK GETS TECH WORKER TRAINING GRANT
(Vienna, VA) Mindbank Consulting Group has been awarded a $325,000 grant
from the Northern Virginia Regional Partnership (NVRP) for a program
expected to add new people to Northern Virginia's IT workforce in as little
as six to eight weeks. The grant covers startup and implementation costs
for the Mindbank Bootstrap Program, with additional first-year costs
covered by Mindbank and companies enrolling their technology candidates.
Participating companies will identify candidates either from existing
technical staff who, with additional training, can fill higher level IT
requirements, or non-technical staff with a high IT aptitude. Part of the
NVRP grant will help to defray the employers' costs. Employees selected
will attend tailored technical courses on a full- or part-time basis,
depending on employer preference. The program will be operational by year's
end. The Northern Virginia Regional Partnership is a private/public
coalition creating collaborative strategies to meet the workforce needs of
Northern Virginia's high tech industry.

Mindbank: http://www.mindbank.com
NVRP: http://www.nvrp.org

Thanks for your interest in and support of the Potomac KnowledgeWay
Netpreneur Program. Send comments and stories to <[log in to unmask]>

Netpreneur News is copyright 1998, Morino Institute, all rights reserved.
The information contained here has been obtained from sources believed to
be reliable, but is not necessarily complete and its accuracy cannot be
guaranteed. It is provided "as is" and your use is at your own risk.

To subscribe to Netpreneur News, send an email to:

with the following command in the body of your message:

SUBSCRIBE NPNEWS

To remove yourself from Netpreneur News send an email to:

with the following command in the body of your message:

SIGNOFF NPNEWS